Suspended WR Martavis Bryant will apply for reinstatement, report says

Martavis Bryant wants back in the game.

The suspended former Steelers and Raiders wide receiver told ESPN Monday he is planning to apply for NFL reinstatement in the coming weeks.

Bryant added he has been seeking approval from the league to see a counselor near his home in Las Vegas with whom he has had success with treatment in the past.

He was suspended indefinitely Dec. 14 for violating the terms of his reinstatement. That came after a year-long appeal of a suspension which came to light before the 2018 season. In total, he has been suspended three times in the past four years for violations of the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

Bryant, 27, was selected by the Steelers in the fourth round of the 2014 NFL Draft but was dealt to Oakland ahead of the 2018 draft after publicly stating he wanted to be traded.

He had 19 catches for 266 yards in eight games with the Raiders before going on injured reserve with a knee injury. He had been playing while his year-long suspension was under appeal.

Now an unrestricted free agent, Bryant hopes to be able to sign with a team by the start of training camp this summer.